Rainy Day Activities

So today we woke up to a day promising spring rain all day. So no gardening or yard work. But I'm playing catch up inside with some final decorating and curtain making. (It's nice to have a little privacy when your husband tends to walk about naked without shame. What the neighbors must think!!)

Not a picture of Jake naked

Though, I did walk about the garden this morning. I've been looking carefully for sproutlings. But alas, the seeds are taking a siesta for now. I guess a watched seed never sprouts. I did, however, find an interloper among the tomatoes this morning...

A turtle, of course! Just what I have been looking for.

I gently moved him to the other side of our little stream in hopes he will find greener pastures and does not venture back into the garden to munch upon any future green things. I'm always amazed how tightly those little guys can close their shells! And I'm secretly tickled that he came to visit. But hubby, who is much more practical when it comes to critters, did not bow down to the adorableness and advised me to remove him pronto.

But...wait...what is that in the little mound there? A seedling!

"Urrrrggghhh"

Well..not quite. It is still struggling to get it's first leaves out of the clay. (And the grass that keeps poking back up) Come on little seedling! You can do it!! And don't forget to tell your brethren that it is safe to come out! Next year I'm going to save myself the worry and start everything indoors!


I did take advantage of the day to crank out 9 cups of a fantastic Strawberry Rhubarb jam. I was introduced to rhubarb by my husband from the north. Most of us southerners have never heard of the stuff and assume that it is some bizarre red celery when we run across it in the grocery store. But it provides a nice tartness to fruit and seems to repel any bitterness. This batch turned out nicely and is cooling on the counter. Every few minutes I hear a distinctive 'pop' as the jars cool and they vaccum seal. Ready for a winter of good eating. And years of gift giving.

Pretty good for a rainy day don't you think?

Comments

  1. I want a jar :D great photos
    it's nice to kinda feel almost there.
    I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evie, you are ALWAYS welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment