Rows of Green


The recent rains with intermittent days of blue, sunny skies have filled my garden with rows of green growing things. Despite some seed rot and some slug and beetle damage, the bush beans are throwing off their third leaf sets and are becoming very healthy. The corn is shooting up taller day by day and the peas are reaching eagerly towards our string trellis.

The cucumbers are finally taking off

The weeding has been labor intensive, however. Due to a maple tree 15 feet away, throwing off those irritating helicopter seeds that have decided to come up everywhere! It is making the carrot patch difficult to manage as the sprouts look very similar to the carrots. I am having to wait for the second leaf set to determine what is weed and what is vegetable! We are starting to stake tomatoes as they get taller and several have little blooms already. And aphids. Which aren't responding to any of my organic methods to remove them. The dish soap water did nothing. And they seem to like the cayenne pepper/garlic infusion I sprayed on last. It must make the leaves tastier. Anyone with any experience who could give me a tip, I'd appreciate it!

Yesterday was another birthday. This time, my dearest husband Jake turned an undisclosed age. And as you can see from the photo below, was awarded with a rather garish looking birthday cake. With fears of ending up on Cake Wrecks, I beg your forgiveness for the disabled pastry you see before you, as it was very very tasty. The yellow butter cake is layered with a raspberry glaze made from last years wild pickings and topped with a homemade lemon icing. It was my husbands request and I did my best. *hanging head in shame*

Hideous, indeed. But delicious!!

All in all, things are shaping up. It looks like my first (on my own) garden may actually bear us some excellent produce and I may stock up my larders with some great things this fall. I remember this every time I try to talk myself out of weeding or cultivating around the rows. And I know that Evan will have a good example to take with him in his life. Knowing that we must all respect our food and where it comes from, and what living a simpler life is all about.

Comments

  1. the garden looks great!

    and happy birthday to Jake. The cake looks very yummy! who cares what the decorating looks like as long as it tastes good right

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment