Summer Break

Wow, I just stumbled on here today in a daze and noticed it has almost been a month since I have updated. I've been ever so busy.


Canning: Almost daily, I have a new chore. One day it's peeling and coring tomatoes to put in the freezer eventually to be stewed in a huge batch of tomatoes. The next it's jarring countless slices of pickles and okra. Another day I get a gift of a gallon of blueberries to be made into jam. Then there is the constant snapping, slicing, and blanching of beans and carrots. I'm sick of the kitchen right now!!


Pennsic: Jake and I are members of the SCA. Therefore, Jake was set on going to Pennsic wars this year for 10 days. I was sewing some last minute garb for him. Embroidering some choice items, repairing things from last year, and doing hours of research to make sure that things were close enough to period. I've been stuck here with the boy and it has been extremely hard on me in ways I didn't expect. Now we have the stress of his return and going back to work despite his wearyness from a week of constant walking and running errands from camp to camp. He called last night and said that he had passed out from heat exhaustion yesterday and I am wringing my hands with worry.

But I do promise to update more soon as my garden is starting to wind down and I am harvesting less each day. It looks rather ugly at the moment with the tomatoes starting to brown and the cucumbers messily stretching over the edges and into the lawn. The corn was a failure and is infested with worms as well as being stunted and tiny, bearing only tiny ears of corn. We will let it dry, salvage the dried corn for chicken feed, and plow it under for the added nitrogen. Next year we will rotate the crops so that the tomatoes will be in that spot.

I'll have new pictures and tutorials soon, so keep watch!

Comments

  1. I'm glad your garden has turned out so well for you! waiting patiently for my shipment of canned goods :D

    sorry about Jake. I hope he feels better soon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment