A Look Back on 2009...And Goals for 2010

Our first viewing of the house

2009 has been a roller coaster. So many ups and downs! The excitement of finding our 'Forever' house. And all of the possibilities we have before us.

The first green things emerge!

My first garden was a huge learning experience. But it actually did well, considering the deluges of rain we had in the spring. Most gardens in the region were washed out. But I was diligent every morning, re-digging the drainage ditches out so that the standing water flowed out and rot wouldn't set in. I learned some new techniques that will make the next garden even better.


A mornings harvest

I harvested some really beautiful vegetables and enjoyed eating fresh organic food every day, right out my back door!

Pickles and Blackberry Jam

I learned how to preserve the extras and stock them up for winter. And gifted the rest! I do have a better idea of how much to grow now! I have several requests already for next year.

My champion!

We got even more involved in the SCA and met some wonderful people. (and awesome horses!)

Jake's first time on the tilt! (left hand side on Onyx)

My husband had his first joust and loved it!

17" of snow total

And the infamous 'Blizzard of 2009'. I've seen worse. But so many people were at a loss as to how to survive without electricity. It was truly eye opening.

And there have been big down times too. My husband was laid off for the winter with no promise of returning to work. And I am down to one day a week. Jake's illness in July has us deeply in debt with his hospital bills. But we are chipping away at it. It's all that we can do for now.

But now there is a new year upon us. Spring is on its way, bringing new growth and new life. I have a few goals for this year:

  • Put a new roof on the house (this will be funded by our first time home-buyers credit)
  • Build our chicken coop big enough for at least 2 dozen hens
  • Get our chickens and introduce them to their new home
  • Enlarge the garden for a larger tomato harvest
  • Make a more efficient compost pile

Those are just a few of the bigger goals. I have some smaller more personal ones for myself. And I will keep blogging more often! Though my followers are few, I hope that will change and that others can learn from my journey. Here's to 2010!

Comments

  1. Are you only going to keep hen? or will you get a rooster. That is what I would do, breed a few chickens for meat and sell eggs.

    Your goals are all achieveable with out spending to much money.
    A good 2010 for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rina - Yes, we plan to get a rooster for each side of the hen house. I want silver laced Wyandottes. And my hubby wants to choose another breed for the other side. (he is still undecided) I do plan to use some for meat as well.

    I hope we can achieve those goals!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment