Homemade Chili

I have heard the requests and now I will deliver! Many of you have asked for my simple but wholesome Chili recipe. But to tell the truth, my recipe has so many variations depending on what I have on hand. I will provide the general recipe, but bear in mind, everything is approximate and can be substituted to your tastes. (Not everyone has stewed heirloom tomatoes on hand!)

Chili
2 lbs ground meat - beef, sausage, turkey, pork, venison etc etc. Remember your fats too. If you use a lean meat, counter it with something fatty like ground pork. Otherwise your meat will be dry.
1-2 medium sized onions, chopped coarsly
1-2 bell peppers chunked- green, red, orange etc. or substitute some anaheim chili's for some heat
2 large cloves of garlic - minced
1 stalk celery - diced
1 can tomato paste
1 quart stewed or diced tomatoes. Two 15 oz cans will do the trick
2 15 oz cans of beans - I use a mix of kidney and black beans
4 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tsp kosher salt
1 Tsp black pepper
1 Tsp basil
1 Tsp oregano
1 serrano or jalapeno pepper diced very fine (can omit for less heat or add a habinero for more!)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup wine - white or red wine will do just fine.

I make my Chili one of two ways. On the stove if I'm in a hurry and in the crock pot if I want to take my time. It's better in the crock pot I think. But still excellent on the stove. 

Time to sweat those onions! In a stockpot, add a small amount of oil or butter (bacon grease if you are a southern cook and keep it on hand!) Heat to medium high and add onions. Lower heat to medium, add a pinch of salt, and keep moving them around. You want some color on them. Cook until they start to sofen, then add your meat.

 Brown meat with the onions and drain. Move to crockpot or reserve if you are cooking on the stove.

 Don't waste those tasty bits on the bottom of the pan!!!! (seriously!!!) Add your wine or alcohol of choice and deglaze that sucker! Reduce and add meat or add to crockpot with meat.

 Add your spices and sugar, tomatoes, tomato paste, and stir together. Smells yummy already huh? Now add your remaining veggies and garlic, stir together and start cooking! Cook on low in the crockpot for 7 hours or high for 5. On the stove, bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer and cook for a good 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and making your house smell amazing.

Why the sugar? I've learned that the biggest mistake cooks make is to neglect contrast. I add salt to my sweets and sugar to my savorys. It brings out the flavors so well. I add salt to my oatmeal. My husband thinks its odd, but he sees the difference when he makes his own as opposed to me making him a bowl. 

"But wait!!!!" you say.  "Where are the BEANS!!!"

 Fear not, dear readers, they will be added the final hour or so of cooking. I've learned that if I add them at the start, they turn to, well, to mush. If you are using canned beans, all you need to do is add them to the hot chili and let them thicken the brew for a little while. You can get away with adding them early if cooking on the stove. Now for those soaking dried beans? Add them at the start.

After simmering for yet another hour, you will get this. A fantastic pot of spicy deliciousness that is perfect for a rainy day like yesterday was. This makes enough for about 8 bowls of chili. Or just 4 in my house. 

Serve hot with shredded cheese, sour cream and homemade cornbread!! Freeze those leftovers!! It thaws well and you might have second meal out of your hard work. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have enjoyed this made by your hand and now by my own. It’s so wonderful. Now, at the beginning of autumn chill, soup is such a welcome gift. And a big bowl of Heather’s chill does the trick!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment