Hard Times

I've been putting off posting for a while because life has not been as full of promise and pretty blooming things as usual. I have been staying away because, frankly, I haven't had a lot of happy things to talk about. I have always been one to look at the bright side of everything. I turn the tarnished coin over to find the glint of metal. If life gave me lemons, I juiced, bottled and canned that luck until it turned for me. 



But the last month has been too many downs. A few bright spots full of promise, but still, full of worry and misfortune. We had a truck catch fire and become a hunk of useless on the side of the road. Our farm truck that we had put so much money and time into. Then we had the best people in the world come to our aid to get us another vehicle, which, for whatever reason, decided to break down on us too. The same day that happened, a fox, in broad daylight, killed three of my six hens. The three that were laying eggs. So now I am without my cherished hens AND my fresh eggs. 

But those are small circumstantial misfortunes that can I can live with and learn from. But our biggest dark cloud has been our financial stability. 

If you have read my blog, you know that I am as frugal as they come. I squeeze those pennies until they scream. But lately, I just can't squeeze them enough. We are making the same income, but fuel, groceries, animal feed, and just about everything has gone up. For each penny I save, another necessity increases in price by 2 pennies. I've cut our grocery budget to $80 a week. So low I haven't even been able to keep up a stockpile and now I am forced to shop week to week. 

I've watched my husband work long hours and overtime, only for me to break the news that we won't be able to make some bill payment unless we cut this, or refrain from buying that. Just when it seems up, it just gets worse than before.

There is some light at the end of the tunnel, though it is far down the road. I have new clients to bring in more income in the coming months. But that means less time at home to keep up our frugal lifestyle and spend with my child. We have the possibility of a refinance with our mortgage company. We are hoping that we can save a good amount every month and start seeing the equation balance again.

Dear readers, I know we are not alone in our trials. How are you and yours coping with this economy. Are you keeping your heads above water? We all need to work together and support each other in these trying times.

Comments

  1. Basically, since three of our 4-person household are college students, we get paid twice a year with students loans. Last semester, it hit us hard and we ended up having to go to the food bank to get through till last week. This semester, we're being smart. We've already paid the satellite, internet/phone, insurance, and electric bills ahead through the end of August. We're getting the car fixed tomorrow and I need to dig out the tax bill for it so we can keep driving it. :P We've already bought a truckload of groceries, the dry goods that will keep for awhile, so we can use food stamps to buy the meats and perishables. I'm going to be getting my phone cards through August sometime very soon. Then I'll be pretty much broke, since I've already spent a good portion of 'my' money on back-friendly furniture (had to be done!) and some storage stuff so I can get my bedroom cleaned up. But broke with the bills paid is much better than broke and worried about how we're going to pay them. Been there, done that, lost the t-shirt along with the house.

    Sending out prosperous vibes your way. I truly hope things start to turn around for you!

    Doni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope things turn around for you too Doni. It seems like almost everyone I know is going through it right now. Good for you having a dry goods stockpile! I have been saving money from knitting so I can do a big flour/sugar/baking goods run. I hope to have enough for 6 months at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I am so sorry that hard times has hit you and your family. I know with all the knowledge you have on saving you will pull through this. Spring will be here soon and your vegetable garden will be producing all that beautiful bounty. In the mean time reach for God and have Faith that he will provide. I'm here if you need anything. hugs and Kisses to Evan

    Meshe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather, Can't believe we're in the middle of March already, it's been so hectic here. Mom's been ill and doing better now, had to deal with so much personal stuff, don't want to bore you with it all. Honey I am so sorry you are finding it tuff ATM, I understand you don't really want to blog at it. I am the same like to keep it to myself just sometimes you need to share with someone. Evan is there for you, I am sure. You got a good man there, together you will get through the hard times.

    Spring is nearly here and with a lot of love and care you can trend a garden, preserve and do what you need to do. Faith and love will carry you through these testing times. Heather would you please contact me Daisysmum at D2E, would love to send a little pressie to cheer you up a little.
    Lots of hugs
    Rina ... Our Slice of Heaven

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment